Wingate by Wyndham Manhattan MidtownMidtown West, Manhattan, New York City
Oyster Hotel Photos
Oyster Hotel Review
Just a few minutes' walk from the Empire State Building, Times Square, and a host of other tourist attractions, but the hotel itself is in a not-so-interesting part of the city
Located three long blocks west of the Empire State Building and seven blocks south of one of the busiest intersections in the world, at 42nd and Broadway in Times Square, the Wingate Wyndham Manhattan Midtown is in a very convenient location. But those blocks make a big difference when it comes to the atmosphere around the hotel. While the neighborhood is hardly quiet -- it's two blocks from Penn Station, one of the busiest train stations in the country -- the area is significantly less touristed than its neighbor to the north, especially at night.
As for the neighborhood itself, some New Yorkers would call it the Garment District; others would simply designate it part of Midwest West. But the distinction isn't really important -- the boundaries of Manhattan's neighborhoods are always a little fuzzy. What's important is that you're within quick walking distance of a number of popular sites, including Times Square, the Empire State Building, and Bryant Park and the New York Public Library. And of course, Madison Square Garden -- home of the New York Knicks, Rangers, and many high-profile concerts -- is only a slapshot away.
- One block from the 1, 2, 3, A, C, and E subway lines; two blocks from the B, D, F, N, Q, R, V, and W lines -- quick and easy access to all of Manhattan's neighborhoods
- 10-minute subway ride to Central Park
- 10-minute walk to Times Square
- 10-minute walk to the Empire State Building and 10-minute subway ride to Rockefeller Center
- 15-minute subway ride to the ferry terminal to visit the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island
- 15-minute subway ride to the American Museum of Natural History
- 25-minute subway ride to the Metropolitan Museum of Art (the "Met") and a 15-minute subway ride to the Museum of Modern Art (the "MoMA")
Large -- especially for the price -- clean, and comfortable
- Both standard and loft rooms start at 300 square feet -- larger than average -- and have either a king-size or two double-size beds. The only difference between the two room types is that the loft rooms have higher ceilings.
- Mini suites start at 350 square feet and include a separate living space and a private terrace.
- Free Wi-Fi
- Somewhat small, 25-inch flat-screen TV
- Fridge and microwave in every room
- Some cordless speaker phones
- Large desk or workspace in every room -- rare, for an New York hotel in this price range
About 30 to 90 minutes from three airports
New York has three nearby airports: JFK, LaGuardia, and Newark (in New Jersey). Getting to town from JFK or LaGuardia is usually more convenient than getting there from Newark, but travel times are heavily dependent on the time of day and traffic conditions. From JFK, a taxi to anywhere in Manhattan costs a flat rate of $45 and takes around an hour in average conditions. From LaGuardia, a metered cab ride to midtown Manhattan costs about $40 and can take 30 minutes if traffic is light, three times that if it's bad. Rides from Newark cost at least $40 (plus tolls) and can take more than 90 minutes. It's customary to tip your driver 15 to 25 percent.
Those looking to save some cash can use the privately run shuttle buses that are available at all three airports for about $14 per person. For more information on the shuttles, go to Super Shuttle or New York Airport Service. Public transit is also available for as little as $7 per person, but travel can take up to two hours and involve a lot of lugging bags up and down stairways.
For mass-transit directions right to the hotel, check out HopStop.com.
Customers Who Viewed Wingate by Wyndham Manhattan Midtown Also Viewed
This Hotel Also Featured In
Things You Should Know About Wingate by Wyndham Manhattan Midtown
Address235 West 35th Street, New York City, New York 10001, United States
Also Known As
- New York City Wyndham
- Wingate Manhattan Midtown
- Wingate New York City
- Wyndham New York City
- King Bed Room
- Loft Room
- Mini Suite
- Standard Room
- Two Double Beds Room