Flying can be quick and efficient, but there's something special about rolling down the windows, pumping up the tunes, and hitting the open road. And now that summer is here, a road trip might very well be in your future. Whether it's a few-hour drive for a short weekend jaunt or a week- or month-long cross-country journey, you're going to need some good snacks. Here to help, we pulled together an addicting, sweet-and-salty puppy chow recipe that will keep you and your travel companions fueled up.
- 1 12-ounce box of Rice Chex
- 1 12-ounce bag semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ¾ cup creamy peanut butter
- ½ stick unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 cups powdered sugar, divided
- 2 cups salted peanuts
- 2 cups M&Ms
- Combine chocolate, peanut butter, butter, and salt in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at 30-second intervals until the mixture is melted and creamy.
- Take a large bowl and combine the Rice Chex with the chocolate mixture. Stir well until the Rice Chex is entirely coated.
- Take ½ cup of powdered sugar and sift into the mixture using a fine mesh strainer. Mix the powdered sugar in, and repeat two more times.
- Let the mixture cool for 20 minutes, or refrigerate to expedite.
- Add two more rounds of powdered sugar (½ cup each time).
- Add peanuts and toss.
- Add M&Ms and toss.
- Sift one more ½ cup of powdered sugar into the mixture and combine.
- Store the puppy chow in a Ziploc bag.
- Puppy chow can be made two days in advance.
You’ll Also Like:
- Video: Just Plane Good Food — Quinoa & Black Bean Salad Recipe
- Video: Just Plane Good Food — No-Bake Brownie Energy Bites Recipe
- The One Must-Try Food in Every U.S. State
All products are independently selected by our writers and editors. If you buy something through our links, Oyster may earn an affiliate commission.