- Large, bright rooms with cool decor and flat-screen TVs
- Convenient location in The Loop
- Free morning coffee and tea
- Free evening wine and beer hour with entertainment
- In-room spa services available
- Free 24-hour fitness center
- Free Wi-Fi for Kimpton InTouch members (which is also free to join)
- Very pet-friendly
- Daily fee for Wi-Fi (but if you become a Kimpton InTouch member — for free — Wi-Fi is free)
- Pricey valet parking
- Shower/tub combos in most rooms
Oyster Hotel Photos
Oyster Hotel Review
A fun boutique located in an old hat factory near the Chicago River
The Hotel Monaco is part of the Kimpton boutique hotel chain, and it's got the typical Kimpton offerings that make for a fun, intimate boutique experience: a free nightly wine and beer hour, free coffee and tea in the mornings, an open-arms attitude toward kids and pets, and most significantly, quirky, stylish decor. The hotel is located in an old hat factory, and its design does have an element of Mad Hatter-esque, Alice in Wonderland whimsy to it. But it also incorporates some Art Deco details: in the elegant lobby, the light fixtures and the detailing on the ceiling and walls; in the rooms, carved geometric wooden headboard with mirrors.
Every Kimpton hotel has a theme, and at the Monaco it's "Great Taste" in honor of Chicago's rich culinary tradition. Most guests probably won't notice that there is a theme, but it is manifested in a number of details, some subtle (customized turndown treats; apples and candy at the front desk) and some not so subtle (the American restaurant South Water Kitchen; the evening wine and beer hour).
In the northern part of the Loop, next to the river and a couple of blocks from Millennium Park
The Hotel Monaco is set in the northern part of the Loop, with a great location close to hundreds of dining and shopping options, and steps from the Theatre District. Many tourist attractions, like the Millennium Park and the world-class Art Institute of Chicago, are only a couple of blocks away. For longer distances, all subway lines are within three blocks.
- 6-minute walk to the Theatre District
- 7-minute walk to the Millennium Park
- 12-minute walk to the City Hall
- 8-minute walk to the Magnificent Mile
- 9-minute walk to the Art Institute of Chicago
- 20-minute walk to the John Hancock Observatory
- 20-minute walk to the Buckingham Fountain
- 19-minute subway ride to the Old Town
- 20-minute subway ride to Pilsen neighborhood
- 24-minute subway ride to the Wrigley Field
- 11-minute drive or 29-minute subway ride to the Museum of Science and Industry
- 20-minute drive to Midway International Airport
- 30-minute drive to O’Hare International Airport
Large rooms with bright, funky decor, window seats, and large flat-screen TVs
The Hotel Monaco has 192 bright, quirky rooms (think: green striped wallpaper), with comfy beds, large flat-screen TVs, and window seats. Bathrooms have shower/tub combos, but at least they're equipped with high-end toiletries. True to the Kimpton brand, rooms come with fun extras like animal-print bathrobes and yoga mats. Wi-Fi is free for Kimpton members (and becoming a member is free).
Rooms and Rates
Free nightly wine and beer hour, 24-hour fitness center, in-room spa services and a business center
True to the Kimpton brand, this property offers a lot of extras: free wine and beer hour in the evenings, free Wi-Fi (if you're a Kimpton member, and being so is free), and tons of free amenities for pets (guests can even request a goldfish during their stay). There's no spa, but guests can arrange in-room services with the front desk, and the small fitness center is well-equipped with modern machines. There's also a small business center.
South Water Kitchen is a favorite among locals and guests, and serves breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
Transport to / from Hotel
|Things to Do||
Mini Bar (with liquor)
Separate Bedroom / Living Room Space
|Address||225 N Wabash Avenue, Chicago, Illinois 60601, United States|