Hotel MonacoUnion Square, San Francisco, California
- Close to Union Square, Market Street and San Francisco's Theater District
- Rooms have bright, stylish decor, luxurious beds, and modern technology
- Free Wi-Fi for Kimpton InTouch members
- Free cruiser-style bike rentals and daily newspapers
- Yoga mat in every room
- Free coffee/tea service and evening wine hour in hotel's "living room"
- Free continental breakfast until restaurant finishes renovations
- Fitness center with treadmills, weights and bikes
- Pet-friendly with no fees or size restrictions
- Restaurant closed until renovations are completed in 2015
- Spa is closed for renovations
- Pricey valet parking
- Fitness center is not open 24 hours
- Rooms are on the small side
Oyster Hotel Photos
Oyster Hotel Review
A fun and contemporary boutique hotel in downtown San Francisco
Hotel Monaco is a stylish, eclectic boutique hotel in the heart of San Francisco's Theater District. Originally built in 1910, the building was taken over and transformed completely by Kimpton in 1995; rooms got another complete overhaul in 2013. The lobby has Art Nouveau and Art Deco touches such as opulent wall murals and paintings, high ceilings, and grand ornate staircases. The lobby's lavish furnishings and cozy fireplaces -- not to mention free coffee and tea in the morning, and wine reception in the evening -- give it a great ambience and make it a popular place for guests to lounge.
The hotel offers all of the thoughtful freebies guests have come to associate with the Kimpton chain: a free evening wine hour; free Wi-Fi (if you join the hotel's free loyalty program); and no extra fees for dogs of any size.
Centrally located near Union Square
Hotel Monaco sits two blocks west of Union Square, which is famous for its high-end retail shops and not much else. Home to enormous outposts of Saks, Tiffany, Macy's, Louis Vuitton, and Neiman Marcus, among others, Union Square is to San Francisco what 5th Avenue is to New York and Rodeo Drive is to L.A. Locals don't hang out here, but the square is great for people-watching nonetheless, and it occasionally plays host to small festivals and demonstrations. The hotel's location is also centered in the lively Theater District, and eight theaters are located within six blocks of the hotel.
Stylish and quirky rooms are on the small side.
Most rooms are on the small side, at around 200 to 250 square feet, but exceedingly stylish, with bright colors and vibrant patterns. They were all completely renovated in 2013, and guests may feel like they are staying in the eclectic bedroom of an avid traveler who decorated with pieces acquired around the world. International influences are felt everywhere, from the white, wrought iron headboards look like they could belong in a European guesthouse, to the silk pillows with Asian prints, to the Indian block print curtains, to the nightstands that resemble inlaid Moroccan antiques. The overall effect is bold and whimsical, and even the graphic striped wallpaper doesn't overwhelm. Attractive bathrooms have patterned black-and-white wallpaper, shower/tub combos, and high-end C.O. Bigelow toiletries.
A modern fitness center and in-room spa services
Though the Hotel Monaco's basement-level fitness center is small, it has modern machines, including Precor treadmills, elliptical machines, stationary bikes, an adaptive motion trainer, and an FTS glide. A full selection of free weights, yoga mats, balance balls and accessories are also provided.
The hotel offers multiple attractive freebies. In-room spa treatments are available until the spa finishes its renovations in late 2014; a free nightly wine hour is held in the hotel's grand lobby; and free coffee and tea are available every morning in the lounge.
The hotel closed its Grand Cafe Brasserie and Bar restaurant to undergo renovations and reopen in 2015 as a new dining option. Until then, the hotel has a free daily continental breakfast.
Any pet under 200 pounds welcome; free
- Any pet under 200 pounds welcome at no extra charge
- Free perks such as pet beds (available in various sizes), food and water bowls, and even free cat toys given on arrival
- Copies of The Dog Walker's Guide to the Bay Area provided in rooms
- Goldfish can be requested to keep in rooms during guest stay
- Designated pet-free floors
Customers Who Viewed Hotel Monaco Also Viewed
This Hotel Also Featured In
Decor and Design
Perhaps it's childish, but I'm drawn to bright colors like a moth to a flame. I love anything eye-catching and…
With four months of the year behind us and the summer rapidly approaching, we know that many travelers have vacation…
Sip wines that not only tantalize the palate, but do good for the planet. Kimpton Hotels has introduced a new…
Things You Should Know About Hotel Monaco
Address501 Geary St, San Francisco, California 94102, United States
Also Known As
- Hotel Monaco San Francisco
- Hotel Monaco San Francisco - a Kimpton Hotel
- Kimpton San Francisco
- The Marker San Francisco
- Canopy Room
- Deluxe Room
- Deluxe Suite
- Junior Suite
- Mediterranean Suite
- Monte Carlo Suite
- Queen Deluxe Room