Oyster Hotel Photos
View All 13 Albums
Customers Who Viewed Hotel del Coronado Also Viewed
Oyster Hotel Review
Hotel del Coronado
Built in 1888, this massive, red-roofed Victorian building -- a National Historic Landmark -- has become an icon of the Coronado peninsula (or island, as locals prefer to call it). It hosted scores of celebrities in the Hollywood Golden Age -- including Charlie Chaplin, Greta Garbo, Clark Gable, and Jimmy Stewart -- and has been a filming location for multiple movies, including Some Like it Hot. Today, many tourists still take a half-day trip to Coronado exclusively to visit the hotel.
Rooms have charming, antique-style decor, but some are a bit small for the price and starting to show their age. The luxurious cottages and villas of the Beach Village, added to the hotel in 2007, have a similar decor style, plus high-end amenities and extra privileges.
Dining options include the acclaimed 1500 Ocean restaurant and ENO wine bar. The outstanding and pricey Sunday brunch at the Crown Room always draws hordes of hotel guests and tourists alike.
In Coronado, a 10-minute drive to downtown San Diego
The hotel is located on Coronado Peninsula (technically an island), across the bay from Downtown San Diego. A two-mile bridge connects the city to this beachside retreat, which is home to restaurants, cafes, seaside bike paths, two golf courses, and several theaters. Some of the best beaches in Southern California are located here, and San Diego’s bustling nightlife, dining, shopping, and cultural attractions are a short drive away.
- 4-minute drive or 14-minute walk to Coronado Municipal Golf Course
- 12-minute drive to Little Italy
- 12-minute drive to the Gaslamp Quarter
- 12-minute drive to Balboa Park
- 13-minute drive to Wild Animal Park
- 14-minute drive to San Diego Zoo
- 14-minute drive to the San Diego Convention Center
- 14-minute drive to the Museum of Contemporary Art
- 16-minute drive to Riverwalk Golf Club
- 17-minute drive to SeaWorld
- 17-minute drive to San Diego International Airport
- 22-minute drive to Mission Beach
- 30-minute drive to La Jolla
- 45-minute drive to Legoland California
Rooms are small for the price and starting to show their age. More luxurious options are available at Beach Village at The Del.
Most of the rooms are housed in the historic Victorian building, and feature charming, if not luxurious, decor. (In the historic building: carved wooden headboards and white, coral and beige bedding. In the Ocean Towers and California Cabana buildings: a more tropical feel, with soft yellow walls and white bedspreads with yellow-, green-, and blue-striped throws). But carpets and furniture could use replacement.
Rooms start at 200 square feet, and some have full ocean views. The higher-end rooms may include separate living areas, balconies, and pull-out sofas.
- 42-inch TVs with cable access (26 channels, including HBO)
- Free Wi-Fi
- Shower/tub combos
- Nintendo Game Cube videogame systems
- 24-hour room service
- Daily newspaper delivery
- Resort, partial ocean, or full ocean views.
The fitness center
- Two swimming pools, including a seasonal adults-only pool and a hot tub
- Fitness center
- Yoga and surfing lessons, included in resort charge
- Kids Camp: Activities including crafts and sports for kids 4 to 17 (fees apply)
- Spa offers treatments, Jacuzzis and steam rooms.
- Babysitting services (for a fee)
- Daily fee for valet parking
- Business center has computers, fax machines, copy service, and shipping and postal services.
- Daily resort fee
Fine dining, casual snacks, drinks at an exclusive wine bar, ice cream by the swimming pool...You won't go hungry or thirsty at The Del.
- 1500 Ocean is an acclaimed fine dining restaurant by Chef Robert Hohmann and serves California cuisine.
- Eno Wine Bar serves wine, rare cheeses and chocolate.
- Sunset Bar serves cocktails.
- Sheerwater is a bistro-style restaurant open for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
- Crown Room serves an acclaimed brunch every Sunday.
- Babcock & Story Bar and Bakery serves wines, coffee, tea and cocktails.
- Sundeck Bar & Grill serves cocktails and grilled entrees; open seasonally.
- MooTime Creamery serves ice cream
- Splash Bar & Deli is a poolside bar serving sandwiches, snacks and tropical drinks; open seasonally (hours vary).
- Boardwalk Cafe serves smoothies and snacks for breakfast and lunch.
- Cabana Bar is a beach bar serving light snacks and tropical drinks; open seasonally.
The iconic, family-friendly Hotel del Coronado is one of the largest and best-known resorts in Southern California, with 679 rooms right on the beach and an acclaimed fine dining restaurant and wine bar. It's located in charming Coronado Village, a short drive away from San Diego’s main attractions. But some rooms and bathrooms are small for the price, and could use updating.
Things You Should Know About Hotel del Coronado
- 1500 Orange Ave, Coronado, CA 92118
- Junior Suite
- Junior Suite Full Oceanfront
- Resort Oceanfront Room
- Resort Oceanfront Suite
- Resort Partial Ocean View Room
- Resort Partial Ocean View Suite
- Resort Room
- Signature Suite
- Victorian Room
- Victorian Suite