- Located close to downtown Newport on a quiet street
- Rooms have kitchenettes, bigger multi-room suites available
- Attractive rooms with modern amenities
- Full-service spa with sauna and steam showers
- Fully equipped fitness center with cardio machines/personal TVs
- Indoor and outdoor in-ground pools
- Garden terrace with views of sunset, harbour, and city
- Fine dining and casual a la carte options
- Free welcome champagne and daily champagne breakfasts
- Pets allowed (restrictions and fees apply)
- Parking costs extra
- Not enough counter space or shelving for toiletries in bathrooms
- Flood lights around the grounds may be bothersome for first-floor guests
Oyster Hotel Photos
Oyster Hotel Review
Historic mansion that has retained the elegance and class of the Gilded Age
Built in 1909 by Alfred Gwynee Vanderbilt, the Vanderbilt Grace Hotel is an original Newport mansion. The original architecture remains and the decor complements it, with antique furnishings and light colors. The rooms and suites are all updated with modern technology and furnishings, but there’s an overall classy, elegant feel to them.
Within the hotel, you’ll find first class dining, as well as casual options. Guests can dine a la carte at Conservatory, have a glass of wine in the Garden Terrace or outdoors by the pool, or head indoors for a dip in the large indoor pool by the spa.
On a quiet street in the heart of downtown Newport
Vanderbilt Grace is located in the heart of downtown Newport, walking distance to plenty of shops, restaurants, and galleries.
Newport is famous for the restored, historic New England mansions dotting the coast and its downtown area. Architecture and history buffs will find plenty to explore in the National Historic Landmark District, at the Newport Historical Society, and all along Bellevue Avenue where some of the most impressive homes are located, such as the famous Breakers Mansion. Some of the mansions are open for guided tours.
Aside from being rich in history and architecture, Newport also plays hosts to a number of music and film festivals each year, including the Newport Jazz Festival (past performers include Miles Davis and Duke Ellington), Newport Folk Festival in Fort Adams State Park, and Newport International Film Festival.
Tennis, yachting, and golf are popular in Newport, as you might be expect of an area teeming with wealthy individuals. The International Tennis Hall of Fame and the Newport Country Club are both in town.
If nature is more your thing, check out Gooseberry Beach located on Ocean Drive or enjoy the extremely popular Cliff Walk. It’s been designated a National Recreation Trail and runs about 3.5 miles along the shore.
Sometimes you just want to shop and eat, however. Downtown Newport is bursting with shops, cute boutiques and galleries. After you’ve exhausted your credit card and feet, pop into one of the many waterfront restaurants serving up fresh seafood and other local cuisine.
- 35-minute drive to T. F. Green Airport
- 80-minute drive to Boston Logan Airport
- 1-minute walk to downtown Newport
- 3-minute walk to Museum of Newport History
- 7-minute drive to Breakers Mansion
- 7-minute drive to Cliff Walk and area beaches
- 30-minute drive to Kingston and Amtrak station
- 4-hour drive to New York City
Rooms and suites with modern amenities and simple, attractive design
Decorated in light tones, with elegant antique-style furnishings, the rooms at Vanderbilt Grace fit in nicely with the decor of the overall hotel. Every room has a kitchenette with mini-fridge and coffeemaker, free coffee, and a microwave.
- Spacious, attractive rooms modern, minimalist decor
- Kitchenettes in every room
- Views of Historic Hill, Thames Street, Newport Harbour, Trinity Church or the Garden Terrace
- Flat-screen TVs with premium cable channels
- CD/DVD players
- Free Wi-Fi
- Luxurious baths with Penhaligon’s bath products
- Junior suites have sitting area separated by custom-made bookcase
- Loft suites have two stories, with two baths and a sitting area
- Superior Suites are larger, also with separate living area
- VIP suites can be one or two bedrooms, with separate living area
- The Grace Suite also has a dining area, kitchen, living area, extra bathroom, and private reception room
Rooms and Rates
Resort features in a downtown hotel
- Vanderbilt Spa with sauna and steam showers
- Fully equipped fitness center with cardio machines (with personal TVs) and free weights
- Small but pleasant outdoor pool on Garden Terrace; large indoor pool
- Garden Terrace offers drinks and light fare with sunset views
- Both fine dining and casual fare options
- 24-hour business center with free laptop and iPad
- Snooker and billiards room, decorated in rich reds with dark wooden furnishings
- Christy Room offers lounging, games of chess, and a fireplace
- Meeting room available
- View full list of amenities
Don’t miss the fine dining restaurant Muse, by Chef Jonathan Cartwright.
|Things to Do||
Mini Bar (with liquor)
Separate Bedroom / Living Room Space
|Address||41 Mary Street, Newport, Rhode Island 02840, United States|