Dukes HotelWestminster, London, England
- Elegant rooms mix classic and modern style
- Fabulous martinis, and the birthplace of the classic Bond line, “Shaken, not stirred”
- Dukes Bar frequented by James Bond creator Ian Fleming
- Drawing room overlooking the garden where afternoon tea is serviced
- Cognac and cigar garden
- Thirty-Six serves refined British cuisine prepared by a Michelin-starred chef
- First-class service
- Marble bathrooms with REN toiletries
- Rooms have free water and Wi-Fi
- Free access to in-house gym
- Lower-level rooms are small
- Strict dress code enforced in the bar (a pro for some)
Oyster Hotel Photos
Oyster Hotel Review
The elegant decor strikes the perfect balance between homey and lavish
Dukes Hotel meets the discerning standards of the posh Mayfair neighborhood where it's located. The hotel dubs its style "modern classic" -- an updated take on classic English luxury. The lobby has wingback chairs and a rich mahogany front desk (with a display of actual keys behind it), while the teal-and-charcoal conservatory is pleasant and elegant. An eclectic mix of contemporary and traditional art is the result of the hotel’s impressive art collection, which started over 100 years ago.
Hallways are worth mentioning as they’re dark and mysterious, with rich wallpaper and opulent gold-gilded mirrors. Lower level rooms are elegant, with white and ivory decor, while the elegant suites have contemporary touches such as rich blue and purple accents.
Dukes’ most notable feature is undoubtedly Dukes Bar, reputed both for its fantastic martinis and for being frequented by James Bond creator Ian Fleming. The classic Bond phrase, “Shaken, not stirred,” was inspired by its setting. The hotel also has a drawing room where traditional afternoon tea is served, and The PJ Lounge, serving champagne and champagne cocktails in a stylish room decorated in lime and rose.
In Mayfair, on a peaceful cul-de-sac off of the prestigious St. James’s Street, and a seven-minute walk from Greek Park tube station
Mayfair is a posh neighborhood brimming with hedge fund managers, embassy diplomats, and the local affluent. St. James’s Hotel and Club is a convenient home base for those looking to explore the prestigious surroundings; popular activities here include dining at pricey restaurants and shopping at Selfridge’s. The hotel sits in a quiet cul-de-sac off of St. James Street.
- 7-minute walk to Green Park, one of the Queen’s royal parks
- 9-minute walk to Buckingham Palace
- 10-minute walk to Piccadilly circus and Piccadilly theatres
- 10-minute walk to London ICA
- 13-minute walk to Trafalgar Square
- 15-minute walk to West End shopping districts
- 11-minute tube ride to Knightsbridge shopping district
- 12-minute tube ride to Hyde Park Corner and Hyde Park
- 12-minute tube ride to Madame Tussaud’s Wax Museum
- 15-minute tube ride to Westminster Abbey and Big Ben
- 15-minute tube ride to Covent Garden
- 18-minute tube ride to Soho
The rooms at the Dukes' are decorated in a elegant white and ivory decor. The 11 suites underwent a refurbishment in 2011, and received fresh bedding and upgraded decor that blends classic and contemporary styles.
- Marble bathrooms with shower/tub combos and REN toiletries
- Bathrobes and slippers
- Free water and Wi-Fi
- Free daily newspaper
- Fruit and handmade chocolates are provided in the suites at turndown.
- The main difference between the room categories is space. The lowest-level rooms are quite small.
- The Dukes room (the lowest category) comes with a queen-sized bed and is meant for single occupancy.
- The Luxury Room offers more space with a comfortable seating area.
- Junior Suites are large, open plan suites with separate seating areas partitioned off by an archway.
- Duchess Rooms are provided with the lone female traveler in mind, and include a makeup mirror, dressing table, smaller size slippers, lifestyle magazines, and the option to reserve a quiet corner table at the restaurant.
A health club, plus several meeting rooms
- Health club with fitness center featuring Technogym equipment, a treatment room, and a marble steam room
- Free Wi-Fi
- Four meeting rooms, with catering service available
- Children under six receive a stuffed "Dukesy" dog at bedtime, and older children received a storybook on their pillow at turndown.
- Children's slippers available
- PlayStations and Xboxes available upon request
- View full list of amenities
Fantastic martinis at the cozy bar, and old-fashioned English fare with a twist
- Thirty Six by Michelin-star chef Nigel Mendham offers refined British cuisine, prepared using old-fashioned techniques in an effort to keep technology out of the kitchen.
- A spot frequented by James Bond creator Ian Fleming, Dukes Bar is particularly known for inspiring the classic quote, “Shaken, not stirred.” Head barman Alessandro Palazzi is well-reputed for mixing fantastic martinis. Note that there is a dress code: smart casual (no denim or tennis shoes, and men must wear ties).
- Decorated in classic neutrals, teal and charcoal, the Drawing Room and Conservatory overlook the courtyard garden and serve as spots to relax or have afternoon tea.
- Featuring the finest champagne and champagne cocktails, the Perrier-Jouet Champagne Lounge is decorated in rich gold, green, and rose tones.
- Open in the evenings after dinner, the secluded Cognac and Cigar Garden offers a selection fine cigars and cognacs.
Customers Who Viewed Dukes Hotel Also Viewed
This Hotel Also Featured In
Literary Hotels: Where famous authors have partied, waited arrest, and -- yes -- even written novels
Whether they're on business or leisure, with the family or solo, almost all travelers consider a book (or a Kindle…
Europe's rich history is alive and well at these amazing hotels. Seeming to appear straight out of the history books…
Food and Drink
Legend has it that when Dom Perignon first discovered champagne, he called out, "Come quickly, I am tasting the stars!"…
Food and Drink
It's time to take a bite out of summer. After all, August heralds the start of some of the best…
Things You Should Know About Dukes Hotel
Address35 St. James's Place, London SW1A 1NY, United Kingdom
- Classic Room
- Deluxe Suite
- Dukes Room
- Junior Suite
- Luxury Room
- Superior Room