Travel Guide of South Congress, Austin for: Hotel Saint CeciliaSouth Congress, Austin, Texas
South Congress (SoCo) Summary
- Lively music scene and iconic music venues such as Emo's and the Moody Theatre
- Funky shops, including vintage clothing boutiques
- Great restaurants
- Walking distance to Town Lake
- Limited direct flights to/from Austin (Houston or Dallas the next closest airports)
- Extremely hot during summer months
- Poor public transit
What It's Like
South Congress (commonly referred to as SoCo) is known for vintage clothing boutiques and a lively music scene. It's home to some of the state's most iconic music venues, including Emo's, the Moody Theatre, the Paramount Theatre, and the Continental Club. Visitors will find plenty of hip shops, funky clubs, and restaurants, and Town Lake is located just to the north and within walking distance.
Where to Stay
The South Congress neighborhood gets its name from South Congress Avenue, and the activity is centered along this strip, which runs from East Riverside Drive to East Oltorf Street. It's a small area, so staying anywhere along South Congress or one of its side streets should put visitors within walking distance of the sights, though there are more hotels off the northern end of the road.