- Beautiful pools with natural thermal waters
- Stunning volcano views from rooms, pools, and bar
- Contemporary rooms with flat-screen TVs and sleek bathrooms
- Lovely spa
- Free buffet breakfast
- Free Wi-Fi
- No fitness center
- 2.5- to 3-hour drive from main airport
- Built-up grounds not as lush as at other hotels
- No tubs in standard rooms
- Little counter space in most bathrooms
For a small hotel, this 54-room boutique has a lot to offer: A beautiful hot springs pool complex with natural thermal waters, great views of Arenal volcano, a lovely spa, a bar with an outdoor terrace, and an on-site restaurant. Contemporary rooms all have volcano views, but the property feels more developed, and less lush, than others in the area. Those wanting to feel surrounded by nature might want to stay elsewhere.
This Hotel Also Featured In
On paper, Costa Rica sounds nothing short of magical. It’s a destination framed by white-sand beaches and covered in volcanic mountain ranges and primary-growth rainforests. Luckily, Costa Rica’s reality checks out completely with its description. The scenery is largely untouched and the pace is leisurely. Travelers come here to see the incredible animal and plant…
There’s good reason to visit the coasts of this Central American country — it’s not called Costa Rica for nothing. But there’s also a draw to the the rainforest-filled interior, filled with incredible biodiversity. There’s also Arenal, a 5,358-foot-tall volcano. Though there’s always some risk involved with building a hotel near an active volcano (though…
The marriage of travel and food has been a long and happy one. For foodies, a destination isn’t going to rank as a favorite unless its cuisine — be it Mexican food in San Diego, seafood in Seattle, or the hodgepodge of deliciousness that is New York — is something special. For us, that logic…
The beautiful infinity pool at Hotel La Mariposa in Manuel Antonio, Costa Rica
Things You Should Know About The Royal Corin Thermal Water Spa & Resort
Also Known As
- Royal Corin Resort & Loto Spa
- Junior Suite
- Master Suite
- Standard Room
4.2 km towards the Arenal Volcano, La Fortuna de San Carlos, Province of Alajuela, Costa Rica
5 (062) 479-2200
Oyster Hotel Review
The Royal Corin Thermal Water Spa & Resort
A small, contemporary hotel with a friendly staff and amazing views of Arenal volcano
After driving through town and seeing a number of unimpressive (that's being generous) budget hotels along the roadside in La Fortuna, guests staying at the 54-room Royal Corin will be relieved and excited to pull up to such a modern, presentable property. The staff greets guests with a cold towel and a delicious fruit juice concoction, in a lobby that's sleek and contemporary. It's not the top luxury hotel in the area, but for the price, it's a good choice. And on a clear day, the views of the (very) nearby Arenal volcano -- the main draw to this region of Costa Rica -- from the pools and every guest room are just stunning.
The star of the hotel is its pool complex out back, fed by natural spring waters. Of the three main pools, two are filled with warm water, one with cool. The complex also has four hot tubs, some with decorative waterfalls. The whole place is stunningly designed, from the curved pool bar at the center of it all, to the tile loungers rising from the central pool, to the two private lounge chairs cordoned off by tall shrubbery.
The pool area is the hot spot (no pun intended) at the hotel by day, and each evening the terrace of the 5th floor Lava Bar fills up as guests (families and couples alike) settle in to enjoy the view and take advantage of happy hour.
Six miles from Arenal Volcano
The hotel is located about two miles from downtown La Fortuna de San Carlos, a small town with shops, restaurants and a park. The Royal Corin Resort has breathtaking views of the active, 5,437-feet Arenal Volcano, and is a 25-minute drive from the National Park entrance. (The volcano's last major eruption was in 1968, and there are small tephra eruptions daily, so you’ll need an adventurous spirit to get up close.) It's also a short drive to Waterfall La Fortuna, a 236-foot waterfall.
Large and contemporary, with great volcano views, balconies, and sleek bathrooms
The rooms here are clean and contemporary, and they all have a great view of the volcano and the pool complex below. The bathrooms are surprisingly sleek for a Costa Rican hotel, with red-and-black countertops, a curvy above-counter sink, and a high-tech shower (funky colored lights, a radio that played mostly static, and a rain showerhead).
All rooms include:
- Balcony with great views of volcano
- Sleek bathroom with high-tech shower, toiletries in re-useable dispensers (though not much counter space)
- Flat-screen TV
- Phones in the room and bathroom
- Free Wi-Fi
- Standard Room: King or two queen beds. Of the 42 standard rooms, 30 have king beds and 12 have two queen beds.
- Junior Suite: King bed, sitting area with couch, Jacuzzi for two with built-in TV (though it's in the main room -- not in the bathroom). There are six Junior Suites.
- Master Suite: King bed, large sitting area, stone column TV-console separating living area and bedroom (no complete wall though), Jacuzzi for two with built-in TV (again, it's in the main room). There are six Master Suites.
Thermal pools, a lovely spa, a bar with an outdoor terrace, and a restaurant
The Royal Corin has a lot of features for a small hotel. Although most guests won't want to leave the pools, there's a beautiful spa with a serene relaxation area, complete with a koi pond, and an attached outdoor thermal hot tub built into the landscape.
- Loto Spa offers facials ($130 to $245), couples massages (70 minutes for $180), hot stone massages ($95), Swedish massages ($90), and deep tissue massages ($100).
- Pool complex has three main pools and several hot tubs, some with decorative waterfalls, all filled with natural spring waters
- Pool bar, Basalto Bar, open from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m.
- Emperador Restaurante serves three meals a day. Breakfast buffet is free for guests and is served from 6:30 a.m. until 10 a.m. (Lunch is 12 to 4 p.m. and dinner is 6 to 10 p.m.)
- Indoor-outdoor lobby bar open 10 a.m. to 10 p.m.
- Lava Bar (located on the 5th floor) serving food and drinks from 5 p.m. until 11 p.m. (happy hour 6 to 8 p.m.)
- Computer with Internet in the lobby
- Local tours can be arranged with prices ranging from $40 to $70 for trips like volcano tour ($49), zip lining ($66), and hanging bridges ($56)
- Hotel shuttle from airport can be arranged ($150 one way)
- Free Wi-Fi throughout hotel
Balcony / Terrace / Patio
Beauty / Hair Salon
Meeting / Conference Rooms
Mini Bar (with liquor)
Poolside Drink Service
Separate Bedroom / Living Room Space
Disclaimer: This content was accurate at the time the hotel was reviewed. Please check our partner sites when booking to verify that details are still correct.