Hope Lake LodgeEastern Finger Lakes, Finger Lakes, New York
- A family-friendly resort with panoramic views of central New York
- Lodge-style Northwoods decor, incorporating natural elements throughout
- Suites have fully equipped kitchens and gas fireplaces
- A restaurant and popular bar on-site
- An impressive spa with a range of quality treatments
- A year-round water park attached to the property; free access to pool and Jacuzzis
- Downhill skiing and an adventure center across the road
- Eco-friendly systems in place, and a focus on using local vendors
- Free valet service or self-parking close to the entrance
- A paved trail and small lake behind the resort
- A kids' club with babysitting services and activities (fees apply)
- Ample event and meeting space in multiple locations
- Free Wi-Fi
- Access to the full water park is an extra fee
- The paved road leading up to the resort does have some potholes
- No iPod docks
- Romantics may find the environs too family-friendly
Oyster Hotel Photos
- 191 Amenities
- 224 Cedar River Suite
- 126 Eagle's Nest
- 94 High Falls Suite
- 99 Ledge Rock
- 104 Loon Hollow
Oyster Hotel Review
A cozy but modern resort, attracting families who like to congregate in the impressive lobby
Hope Lake Lodge, located across the road from Greek Peak (a ski resort, adventure center, and conference center), is a modern, woodsy structure. The driveway leading up to the property has a few potholes, and guests can either drive directly to the entrance for luggage service, or park in the nearby lot and walk up.
The lobby, aptly dubbed the "Great Room", makes a grand first impression, with its vaulted wood beamed ceilings and enormous stone fireplace. A restaurant and bar are located on the left, and a small front desk area is situated on the right. Guests -- mostly families with kids -- can be found congregating here.
Though the resort is mostly family oriented, adults can have their fun, too. During the evenings, the Bobcat Lounge, adjacent to the lobby, attracts a fun mix of locals and visitors. In addition, the impressive spa has a range of treatments.
The Northwoods decor is attractive and authentic, and some details were crafted by local vendors or with local materials. For example, an aging cherry tree on the property was reused for several pieces of furniture in the lobby.
An all-season destination close to Cortland, Ithaca, and the Finger Lakes
Cortland is a small city located in a scenic area of central New York, surrounded by winding roads and valleys. The highest spot in the county is found at Greek Peak Resort, just across the road from Hope Lake Lodge. Local skiers have been hitting the slopes on this mountain for decades, but it was the development of Hope Lake Lodge -- the first full-service resort in this rural area -- that brought in the overnight vacationers.
Guests will find themselves within driving distance to Cortland, downtown Ithaca (home to Cornell University), and the Finger Lakes for boating and wine tasting.
- 18-minute drive to downtown Cortland
- 33-minute drive to Ithaca, home of Cornell University
- 40-minute drive to the Cayuga Lake Wine Trail
- 56-minute drive to Syracuse
- 1-hour-7-minute drive to the Seneca Lake Wine Trail
- 2-hour, 19-minute drive to Rochester
- 2-hour, 50-minute drive to Albany
- 4-hour drive to New York City
- 4-hour drive to Philadelphia
- 5-hour, 41-minute drive to Boston
Rooms have cozy, lodge-like decor, and most are suites with kitchens and gas fireplaces
Rooms have lodge-like decor inspired by the Great North Woods (a massive forest across New York and several other states). They are clean and relatively free of wear and tear. The smallest and most basic of the units is the Traditional Room (no fireplace or kitchen), but most units are suites with fully equipped kitchens, gas fireplaces, flat-screen TVs, and DVD players. Some units have Murphy beds in the living room that pull down to create extra sleeping space.
Local vendors were sought out and used for many aspects throughout the property, including the rooms. In fact, the owners made every attempt to use vendors within a 500-mile radius from the resort. The mattresses, for instance, were not chosen lightly. The owners wanted spa quality, similar to a bed they had experienced once at another hotel. After numerous setbacks in obtaining these (the mattress company went out of business), the owners ran into a mattress salesman for a company in Buffalo, who said he could duplicate the look and feel.
All suites come with:
A water park open year-round and a heated outdoor pool
Conveniently located adjacent to the hotel is a kid-friendly water park staffed by lifeguards (access is an additional fee). The modern structure is kept at a constant 84 degrees, and can be enjoyed year-round. It features 500 feet of water slides, as well as a large wave pool with three revolving settings to keep kids and adults entertained.
Guests do get free access to the heated outdoor pool and indoor/outdoor Jacuzzis at the water park complex. The pool overlooks the natural landscape, and lounge chairs and sunshine make this an appealing place to kick back and relax.
The Edgewater Cafe near the entrance is available for snacks and casual lunches. Adults can order grown-up beverages here such as wine, beer and frozen cocktails.
A spectacular Feng Shui-inspired spa with spacious suites and modern technology
Next to the main elevator is the entrance to Waterfalls Spa, owned by Aspen Spa Management -- it's arguably the best spa in central New York.
Each of the treatment rooms offers a private shower with Aveda products, as well as the ability to choose music and color schemes. Two suites -- designed for couples' treatments -- have a two-person balneotherapy tub from Germany that incorporates chromotherapy. One of the two suites has a two-person infrared sauna to detoxify the body and strengthen the immune system.
Individual treatments and packages can be chosen directly from the menu, or guests can meet with a spa manager to learn more about services.
This family-friendly resort offers numerous ways for kids to stay entertained.
- A year-round water park (with access for a fee) is attached to the hotel and has numerous water slides, as well as a wave pool. Access to the Jacuzzis and heated outdoor pool is free.
- An arcade with modern video games is located next to the water park. Parents can add money to their kids' bracelets and let them go wild.
- Greek Peak Ski Resort, located across the road, offers skiing and snowboarding terrain for beginners through experts.
- Other adventurous activities at Greek Peak geared towards kids (and adults!) include a mountain coaster, snow tubing, zip lines, and bungee jumping.
- The park behind the resort offers trails for cross-country skiing and snowshoeing in the winter, as well as hiking, and a lake for non-motorized boating and fishing in the summer.
- The Bearfoot Den -- a kids' club -- provides outdoor activities, crafts, story time, scavenger hunts, pizza parties and ice cream socials.
- During peak winter season, the Night Owl program on Saturday nights consists of face painting, a pizza party, and shuttle bus ride to the tubing center.
A classic restaurant next to the lobby, and a number of gourmet options nearby
- Acorn Grill -- open for breakfast, lunch and dinner -- offers an American menu, with traditional entrees such as filet mignon, Chicken Cordon Bleu, Maple Nut Salmon, as well as sandwiches, pizzas, and salads.
- Local specialties, such as elk meat, are farmed within miles of the resort.
- Breakfast is not included with the cost of the room, there are made-to-order items as well as a buffet option.
- The adjacent water park serves casual meals and snacks for kids and adults at the Edgewater Cafe.
- 24-hour room service
- Hope Lake Lodge is in close proximity to Cornell University's School of Hotel Administration, and therefore, there are a number of quality restaurants within driving distance of the resort. Ask the front desk for suggestions.
Adult beverages at the water park, and a lobby bar that's popular with both guests and locals
There is an undeniable family-friendly vibe at Hope Lake Lodge, but the Bobcat Lounge in the lobby -- thanks in part to its popular bartenders -- receives a steady crowd of locals and tourists. The bar features seasonally inspired cocktails and draft beer from local breweries. Specialty drinks concocted by the bartenders are offered, such as the pomegranate blueberry martini and upside-down pineapple cake.
A decent wine list -- with selections from nearby Finger Lakes wineries -- is offered at Acorn Grill, as well as in the in-room dining menu.
Guided winery tours can be arranged through the concierge.
A free shuttle to Greek Peak
- Gift shop on-site, though opening hours vary
- Concierge can help arrange tours and day trips
- Free shuttle service to nearby Greek Peak resort for skiers and conference/event attendees
- Meeting and wedding planners on-site
- Guest coin-operated laundry
- Special requests, when possible, can be accommodated through the front desk
A slew of activities on the property and in the immediate vicinity
- Spacious 24-hour fitness center
- A one-mile walking and jogging trail around Hope Lake, behind the hotel
- A year-round indoor water park with water slides and a wave pool
- Downhill skiing and snowboarding at Greek Peak, as well as cross-country skiing and snowshoeing at the Nordic Center
- Winter snow tubing with 10 chutes and snowmaking
- The High Peaks Challenge Ropes Course with three levels of difficulty to build skills like strength, endurance, balance
- The Euro bungee, an apparatus where two people can jump, flip and bounce
- Four outdoor zip lines, with all the equipment and guided instruction
- Mountain coaster for kids six and up; children three to 6 years old must be accompanied by an adult.
- Rentals offered at Hope Lake Park: canoes, rowboats, paddleboats, fishing poles and bait
- An organic blueberry farm near the resort for berry picking
- Horseback riding day camps near the hotel
- A number of golf courses in the vicinity
- Ice-skating available near the resort
Two ballrooms and a conference center at Greek Peak
For group events, Hope Lake Lodge has two meeting rooms on-site: the Adirondack Room (1,519 square feet) and Charles Baker Room (837 square feet). Both have the same lodge-like decor as the rest of the resort, as well as Tiffany chandeliers and granite countertops, and are equipped with modern technology for business meetings. The rooms can be used for social functions such as sit-down meals.
The adjacent Greek Peak Resort operates The Acropolis, a multi-functional space that can accommodate groups as large as 1,000 people (shuttle service from Hope Lake Lodge is provided). The largest room is 4,100 square feet, and there are six other meeting rooms.
Activities for team building sessions, such as the multi-level ropes courses taught by a professional team at the Adventure Center, are also offered.
Though the resort appeals to families, touches of romance can be found
Parents who want a night out on the town at one of the nearby restaurants (on-site dining options are better suited for families) have the option to drop kids off off at the Bearfoot Den kids' club, which is open every evening (fees apply).
The rolling hills of central New York create scenic backdrops for the big day
The picturesque setting surrounding Hope Lake Lodge attracts couples looking to have their wedding in the rural countryside. Event planners can make preparations for bridal showers, ceremonies, receptions and post-wedding breakfasts in a number of unique indoor or outdoor venues on-site, and across the road at The Acropolis.
Special arrangements, such as having a bottle of local Finger Lakes wine delivered to each guest room of the wedding party, are also possible.
Waterfalls Spa is able to accommodate wedding parties for a range of treatments.
A number of sustainable practices throughout this modern property
- The hotel has a state-of-the-art heating and cooling system that takes the heat and the cold out of the ambient air. In addition, the computer system removes the heated air from rooms and areas where it is not needed and delivers to another area that is calling for heat or cooler air. The system is tied into the reservations system to regulate the heat and cooling in the rooms as guests check in and out.
- A high-tech ionization air purification system in the water park, grand lobby, and hallways spreads ionized oxygen clusters which attach to airborne pollutants such as mold bacteria, pollen, chemicals, and odor causing organic compounds and rapidly drop them from the breathable air.
- Recycling bins in each room
- Gas fireplaces use natural gas
- Energy efficient lighting and appliances
- Use of local vendors as much as possible
- An energy-efficient roof
- Toiletries come in biodegradable containers.
The developer has been a businessman in the area for several decades
Though Hope Lake Lodge opened in December 2009, the vision for the resort had been in the making for years. As a young boy, Al Kryger used to visit this scenic valley and could feel potential in its surroundings. He opened Greek Peak across the road many decades ago, and always planned to one day evolve the ski resort into a year-round destination. This dream came to fruition with the development of chalets and condos, as well as a full-service hotel, water park, and spa. More projects are slated for the future, including the addition of an 18-hole golf course.
Designated handicap rooms and free shuttle service
- The entrance and common areas of the hotel have ramps.
- Elevators access all floors
- Specific rooms on the first floor have handicap accessible features such as widened doorways, roll-in showers with a chair/bench, and lowered countertops.
- Signage throughout the resort is listed in Braille.
- Free shuttle service
- Handicap parking is available.
- Service dogs are permitted.
Located in a rural area, with 24-hour security
The resort is located in a scenic area of central New York with access to downtown Cortland, a few miles away. Managers and staff members are available 24 hours a day for security concerns. In the water park, lifeguards are trained in safety and first aid. Greek Peak has ski patrol and a volunteer doctor on duty on weekends during the winter season.
Customers Who Viewed Hope Lake Lodge Also Viewed
This Hotel Also Featured In
New York City
Who says you gotta stay in NYC to have all the fun? Not us! Especially during the warm months of…
With much of the United States in the throes of cold temperatures and icy snow, a weekend at a water…
Now that it's peak ski season in wintry locales, we're busy deciding on which destination we'll choose for hitting the…
The summertime beach vacation is a much-awaited annual tradition for many. As soon as the weather turns warm, families, couples…
Things You Should Know About Hope Lake Lodge
Address2000 NYS Rt. 392, Cortland, Finger Lakes 13045, United States
- Cedar River Suite
- Eagle's Nest
- High Falls Suite
- Ledge Rock Suite
- Loon Hollow Suite
- Northwoods Suite
- River Rock Suite
- Roaring Brook Suite
- Split Rock Suite
- Stony Brook Traditional