W New York - Union SquareGramercy and Murray Hill, Manhattan, New York City
Oyster Hotel Photos
Oyster Hotel Review
The W chain of hotels is the younger-leaning, more stylish arm of the Starwood Hotel group (which also operates Sheratons and Westins). W has properties all over the world, including five in Manhattan. The hotels are known for their purple, silver, and black color scheme, their extensive use of butterflies and kitschy design flourishes, and an unhealthy obsession with, yes, the letter "W" -- signs read "Welcome" at the front desk, "Whatever/Whenever" at the concierge, and "Woof" by the dog bowls at the entrance. Despite the Sesame Street-style alliteration, Ws around the city often draw decent crowds of young professional New Yorkers to their lobbies. The Olives restaurant and the basement bar Lilium at the W Union Square, the most "downtown" of all the Ws, is no exception: It's hip but not exclusive.
The public areas feel just a half-step behind those at the sleeker, moodier Royalton, but they're still interesting and comfortable -- especially with free Wi-Fi in the lobby (in-room Internet costs a daily fee). As at other New York Ws, techno and euro pop play over the speakers, and there are some pretty interesting cocktails on the menu. The large windows let in a lot of sunlight and afford some incredible people-watching opportunities.
Fast check-in, a solid concierge, and quick delivery on simple requests place the W just above par for New York hotels in its price range.
The W chain prides itself on its "whatever/whenever" service, wherein guests are encouraged to ask for, as the name suggests, anything at any time, as well as other conveince services.
- The front desk is open 24 hours, and the hotel has the noted Whatever/Whenever service, meaning that guests can make any (legal) request at any time.
- Valet parking, for a fee
- Cell phone rental
- Laundry service
- W2GO service, providing grab-and-go food and drinks
- Business center, with printing, audio/ video conferencing, and audio/ video equipment available
- House car and driver available 24 hours for complimentary rides around town, with W snacks avaiable, as part of Whatever/Whenever service. Reservations must be made through the conceirge
Fittingly, the W Union Square sits on the northeast corner of Union Square, a park in the Gramercy neighborhood of Manhattan. In the daytime and evening, the immediate area witnesses heavy foot traffic. Everyone from skateboarders to dogwalkers to well-dressed media types pass through. By midnight, though, the square's well lit but the park and its surrounding side streets thin out considerably.
A major subway station servicing eight trains (the L; the N, Q, R, W; and the 4, 5, 6), Union Square is surrounded by commercial properties, including a Regal movie theater, a Whole Foods, and a Barnes & Noble bookstore. Several dormitories and buildings of New York University and the New School lay nearby. Students tend to hit the area nightspots, and activists and artists often set up shop in Union Square park, but the hub and the shopping bring people from just about every New York walk of life to the area, making for a crowded and busy daytime scene that thins out at night.
Rooms were renovated in 2012. The updated room décor has a brighter palate and tones, as well as more modern furnishings. Renovated rooms have bright pops of color and striking accent walls that give a much more contemporary look to the space.
- Basic rooms are known as Wonderful Rooms, and come at a standard 225 square feet, and are available with one king or two queen beds. The slightly larger Spectacular Rooms are about 300 square feet.
- Mega Rooms are between 345 and 375 square feet, and have an oversized arm chair. Fabulous Rooms are between 355 and 380 square feet, and have an ergonomic desk.
- Studio Suites start at 440 square feet and have a pullout sofa. Cool Corner Suites are 480 square feet and have a spacious sitting area. Fantastic suites have Union Square Park views and a sectione off sitting area. Wow Suites are about 650 square feet and include Bliss Slippers.
- Extreme Wow Suites, the highest end accommodations and the largest at 1,000 square feet, have in-room Jacuzzis, Bose sound system, and park views.
- 42-inch flat-screen TV with DVD player and movies available on demand. The hotel has a DVD library for movie loans.
- Signature W Beds have pillow top mattress and 350-thread count linens
- Bliss bath amenities and terry-cloth robes
- iPod docking station
- Stand-along showers or bath/tub combos are available
- W-Fi internet, for a daily fee
- 24 hour room service
- Minibar, with an assortment of hard liquors, beer, wine, and mixers, and Muchie Box full of snacks
- Rooms have stand alone showers or bath/ tub combos
- Sweat, the W chain's brand of fitness centers, as high-end machines, and there are fresh apples, a large flat-screen TV, and plenty of towels available for guest use
- business center offers standard services such as fax, mail, and photocopies, as well as paid Internet access
- Free Wi-Fi in the lobby
- A luxury house car and driver are on hand for free rides around the city, but reservations must be made through the concerige in advance
- There's no spa at the W Union Square, but the hotel offers in-room treatments.
Available through the concierge, the DVD and video library features some kids movies. The room-service menu also includes children's options like mac and cheese, crispy chicken fingers, or a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. The hotel offers cribs on request and also can arrange babysitting services through the concierge.
Solid family amenities notwithstanding, the hotel generally caters to business professionals, plus Union Square isn't ideally located for visiting kid-friendly New York attractions such as the museums around Central Park.
The W welcomes pets, but there's a weight limit and it can get pricey . Owners pay an additional fee per night above their daily room charge and a nonrefundable cleaning deposit.
With two dog bowls filled with treats and water at its entrance, the W Union Square opens its arms to pets. There's even a room-service menu for them. What's more, the park adjacent to the hotel features a popular dog run.
Celebrity chef Todd English, who also operates upscale Mediterranean restaurants in the Bellagio in Las Vegas, as well as Washington, Tokyo, and Aspen, runs Olives on the W's first floor, which was renovated in 2012 and serves Mediterranean-inspired cuisine. English's signature molten chocolate cake was once a distinct delight, but has since become more common among many NYC restaurants.
Lilium and the Living Room serve cocktails and small bites, also from a Todd English menu.
Around Union Square, there's a host of options in almost every direction.
Great food, attentive service, and a beautiful reception space that blends classic architecture and modern design.
- Wedding Size: Up to 150 guests; only one wedding at a time
- Ceremony Location: The Great Room
- Food and Drinks: Price vary (depending on specific menu choices and the day of the week) for a five-hour open bar, four hot and four cold hors d'oeuvres, and a three-course plated dinner. Kids', kosher, vegetarian, and gluten-free menus available upon request.
- Honeymoon Suite: The Wow Suite is free for the bride and groom on their wedding night.
Customers Who Viewed W New York - Union Square Also Viewed
This Hotel Also Featured In
Through our many travels we’ve learned that April showers don’t just bring May flowers – they bring delicious May produce…
The Colonnade at The Fairmont Washington, D.C. 1. FACT OR FAKEOUT? The Fairmont Washington, D.C.’s $100,000 Presidential Detail Package included…
Road warriors, rejoice: The days of relying on a (possibly shoddy) business center are over. Not that we don't love…
New York City
Pooch lovers, rejoice: The 136th annual Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show is around the corner, airing on February 13 and…
Things You Should Know About W New York - Union Square
Address201 Park Avenue South, New York City, New York 10003, United States
Also Known As
- w Hotels Union Square
- w Hotel Union Square
- w New York City
- w Union Square
- Extreme Wow Suite
- Fantastic Suite
- Mega Room
- Penthouse Room
- Spectacular Room
- Wonderful Room
- Wow Suite