Hotel Palomar PhiladelphiaCenter City, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- Plush, comfortable beds and big flat-screen TVs
- Striking design, especially in the lobby
- Hopping (and free) nightly wine hour
- A cool bar and an upscale American restaurant
- Professional, friendly service
- Solid fitness center with free fruit and headsets
- Pet-, kid-, and eco-friendly
- LEED Gold-certified property
- Mediocre water pressure in showers
- Pricey valet parking
Oyster Hotel Photos
- 19 Amenities
- 35 Deluxe One-Bedroom Suite
- 48 King Deluxe Room
- 79 Presidential Suite
- 46 Queen Queen Deluxe Room
- 27 Restaurants and Bars
Oyster Hotel Review
Striking design in a historic building near Rittenhouse Square Park
The Hotel Palomar is located in a 1929 Art Deco building that once housed the local American Institute of Architects chapter, but the interiors have been fully redone in modern boutique style. You can hear the oohs and aahs when guests first walk into the Palomar's striking lobby. And guests have good reason to be happy with their hotel choice: the lobby (or the living room, as the hotel prefers to call it) accurately sets the tone for the entire hotel experience.
The lobby has bold, high-end style, complete with hardwood floors, glass tile detailing, retro velvet seating, and a gas fireplace with a shiny white wall surround. Whimsical details like white roller skate sculptures reflect the hotel's "Art in Motion" theme (inspired by the building's history as a meeting place for architects), while other artwork -- such as Benjamin Franklin busts in different colors -- honors the hotel's setting in historic Philadelphia. There are plenty of thoughtful extras -- free lemon ice water throughout the day, coffee and tea in the morning, and a hopping wine hour with truffle popcorn at night.
The rooms, too, are quite stylish, and the hotels' thoughtfulness is evidenced everywhere -- from the free fruit and headsets in the fitness center, to the laundry list of items that can be borrowed by forgetful travelers, including curling irons, extension cords, sewing kits, and even humidifiers. (A small sign in the bathroom says: "Forgot it? We've got it!")
The success of Kimpton's open-arms attitude toward kids and pets was in ample evidence: Lots of families stay here, and I saw more than one dog. (But there were plenty of business travelers, too.)
On a busy, tree-lined street near Rittenhouse Square Park in Center City
The Palomar is on South 17th St, a busy tree-lined stretch that's home to a number of hotels (including the Sofitel, across the street, and the Radisson Plaza-Warwick Hotel a couple blocks south), near Rittenhouse Square Park. The Shops at Liberty Place mall is one block to the north.
Center City is Philadelphia's commercial and cultural center, and the vast majority of the city's hotels are clustered in this neighborhood. Popular historical sites, including Independence Hall, are located here, as is the Philadelphia Museum of Art (fronted by the stone steps made famous in the Rocky films). The picturesque Rittenhouse Square Park, located in the southwest area of the neighborhood, is surrounded by some of the city's best restaurants and bars. The ornate City Hall, built in 1901, is the second tallest masonry building in the world; its tower is a prominent fixture of the Philadelphia skyline.
- 1-minute walk to The Shops at Liberty Place
- 5-minute walk to Rittenhouse Square Park
- 10-minute walk to City Hall
- 15-minute walk to the Pennsylvania Convention Center
- 6-minute drive or 10 minutes by bus to the Philadelphia Museum of Art
- 6-minute drive or 8 minutes by subway to 30th St. Station
- 7-minute drive or 7 minutes by PATCO to Independence National Historic Park (home to Independence Hall, the National Constitution Center, and the Liberty Bell)
- 11-minute drive or 23 minutes by bus to Penn's Landing, a waterfront neighborhood that's home to several historic ships visitors can tour, Adventure Aquarium, and the Independence Seaport Museum
- 11-minute drive or 27 minutes by bus to the Philadelphia Zoo
- 21-minute drive or 32 minutes by train to Philadelphia International Airport
The Palomar's rooms are fitted out with the accoutrements of modern luxury, including plush beds with Frette linens, big flat-screen TVs, iPod docks, and high-end Etro toiletries. 1960's-inspired furniture (in most rooms, a velvet armchair and white padded office chair) as well as a geometric-pattern throw add some retro flair to the rooms' sleek style.
- Feather-top mattresses with Frette linens
- Stylish bathrooms with purple wallpaper, marble countertops and chrome fixtures; high-end Etro toiletries; hairdryers; and make-up mirrors
- 37-inch flat-screen TV with on-demand movies
- iHome docking station with remote control
- $10 per day for Wi-Fi (free, if you sign up for the Kimpton Loyalty Program)
- Leopard-print bathrobes, iron and ironing board, and safe
- Full-length mirror
- Turndown service
- Free morning newspapers available (free delivery for Kimpton members, upon request)
A 24-hour fitness center and great nightly wine hour
- Solid fitness center on the fourth floor open 24 hours a day featuring two treadmills, four elliptical machines, and two recumbent bikes, all with personal TVs; free weights; yoga mats and balance balls; fruit, loaner headsets, towels, and newspapers; free yoga class weekly (be sure to sign up in advance)
- Popular nightly wine hour between with two types of wine (one red, one white) and delicious truffle popcorn. It's not only an adult affair; there are plenty of kids to be seen pigging out on the popcorn (served out of a large communal bowl into small dishes) while their parents enjoyed the wine.
- In-room massages and body treatments available
- Lots of kid-friendly amenities, including child-sized bathrobes, a KimptonKids welcome gift, and (upon request) cribs, Playards, outlet covers, toilet latches, nightlights, and high chairs or booster seats (for in-room dining).
- Concierge available Wednesday through Sunday
- Pricey valet parking in on-site garage, with in-and-out privileges
- Five meeting rooms (including a ballroom) totaling 4,500 square feet of meeting space
- 24-hour business center with two computers, printer, and laptop stations
- Eco-friendly (LEED Gold Certified)
Square 1682 serves upscale American cuisine from a renowned chef.
Square 1682 -- named for the year Philadelphia was founded -- is a popular dinner and drinks spot for both guests and locals, who gather over drinks in the lively bar and lounge downstairs, or sit down for a full meal in the restaurant upstairs. Breakfast and lunch are served as well. The New American cuisine, from renowned Chef Guillermo Tellez, includes dishes such as lobster paella, Pennsylvania goat chili, or duck sausage cassoulet. The menu uses seasonal, local ingredients.
- 24-hour room service
Pets of all shapes and sizes allowed for no additional fee. The hotel has water dishes outside the entrance for thirsty pups, and guests bringing pets will find pet bowls and pet beds in their rooms to use during the stay. Owners will also have a pet amenity delivered to their room. Plastic bags and leashes are available for walks, and pet sitting, grooming, walking, or massage services can be arranged through the concierge.
Customers Who Viewed Hotel Palomar Philadelphia Also Viewed
This Hotel Also Featured In
Food and Drink
Some may turn up their noses at America's "unrefined" grub, and others may stare in horrified shock at our portion…
Staying fit on the road is never easy, particularly when it comes to eating well. Many of us let our…
We've picked the top hotels for business travelers in America's most important cities for the suit-and-tie set. Sealing the deal…
If you're one of the many shoppers out there struggling with gift buying this holiday season, don't fret. Whether you're…
There are some hotels that are truly green all around -- those that have been certified by the prestigious Leadership…
Things You Should Know About Hotel Palomar Philadelphia
Address117 South 17th Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19103, United States
- City View King Room
- City View Queen Room
- Deluxe One Bedroom Suite
- King Deluxe Room
- Presidential Suite
- Queen Deluxe Room
- Queen / Queen Deluxe Room
- Spa King Room