Are you sick of eating microwaved messes for breakfast, lunch, and dinner on planes? As frequent travelers, we sure are. Plus, with the increasing popularity of budget airlines, you might not even get a meal at all -- unless you pay, of course. Well, we're here to make your next flight a little more bearable. Did you know you can actually bring food through airport security, as long as it's not liquid (like soup, gravy, sauce, etc.)? It's true! We highly recommend making your own meal for your flight. Here's a recipe for a quinoa and black bean salad that we love for a short-haul snack.
- ½ cup of dry quinoa
- 1 cup of broth
- ¼ tsp. cumin
- Pinch cayenne
- ¼ tsp. salt
- The juice of ½ a lime
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 cup black beans
- 1 tomato
- 1 bell pepper
- Optional: 1 jalapeño
- Optional: Cilantro as a garnish
- Rinse quinoa.
- Add quinoa and broth to a pot and bring to a boil.
- Lower heat and let simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove quinoa from heat and allow to cool.
- Combine cumin, cayenne, salt, and lime in a mixing bowl and whisk.
- Add olive oil while whisking.
- Slice tomato, bell pepper, and jalapeño (optional).
- Combine spice mixture with the sliced vegetables and stir.
- Add black beans and quinoa. Stir.
- Pour into Tupperware and garnish with cilantro (optional).
You’ll Also Like: