- Best location in Aspen for accessing the slopes and downtown
- The outdoor pool deck has the best apres-ski scene in Aspen
- A small fitness center, plus access to the Aspen Club’s facilities
- Popular on-site bar and lounge serving local fare
- Free nightly wine hour
- Modern decor is a refreshing escape from standard lodge style
- Pet-friendly with no fee or size restrictions
- Bathrooms are in need of updating, especially for the price
- Rooms are on the smaller side, even for Aspen
- Valet parking only, for a fee (discount for hybrids)
- Must be loyalty program member to access free Wi-Fi
The Sky Hotel sits on prime Aspen property, directly at the bottom of the Silver Queen Gondola with one of the best ski-in/ski-out locations in the valley. While rooms are on the small side for the price, they reflect Kimpton’s signature style, with a modern take on lodge decor, a daily wine hour, an excellent deck with pool and Jacuzzi, and one of the most happening apres-ski scenes in Aspen. Amenities for guests' four-legged friends are plentiful, too, and unlike at other resorts, there's no fee or size restriction, easily making this the most pet-friendly hotel in Aspen.
- Fitness Center
- Pets Allowed
This Hotel Also Featured In
Care to defrost in one of Costa Rica’s volcanic hot springs? Winter can sometimes feel like a vacationer’s no-man’s-land: bleak landscapes, frigid temps, and dangerous driving conditions (often) abound. But we have good news. Great news, actually. We’ve scouted some of the world’s best winter vacation destinations, where not only is the season tolerable, but…
Calling all snow bunnies! For some people (admittedly, not me) winter isn’t the time to flee down to Florida or the Caribbean for some sun and sand, but rather it’s finally the season when they can hit the slopes. When deciding on a destination, it’s no secret that the best skiing in the U.S. is…
Are you obsessed with tweeting, instagramming, hashtagging, and updating all of your Facebook friends on your every move? Well, beside being able to enjoy all the compliments a great selfie can garner, posting to social media can also score you some awesome bonuses when traveling, because hotels around the world are rewarding the social media…
The weather outside may be frightful, but in these snug hotel bars, things are – well – quite delightful. Our top picks exude warmth and coziness, with features such as leather banquets, wood paneling, strong drinks, and hot fireplaces. Let it snow! Rose Bar at the Gramercy Park Hotel, New York City
If you’re planning to hit the slopes in Colorado this winter and are looking for a place to stay, you can’t do much better than these gorgeous ski resorts. They embody everything a person wants out of a ski resort — think: handsome lodge decor, cozy apres-ski bars with roaring fires, sophisticated rooms, and first-rate…
Akin to that elusive “nineteenth hole” in golf, après-ski scenes are more about socializing than sporting. Groups gather after the last run of the day to drink, dance, and relive any hairpin turns they might have experienced on the slopes. We’ve traveled to North America’s premier ski locales and every time, after a blustery day…
Skiing is one of our favorite winter pastimes: There’s just something about getting out in the fresh air (and fresh powder) that does a body good. And whether you’re doing the “pizza” down the bunny slopes or have mastered the double black diamond, you’ll be sure to have a great time, especially considering all the…
Oyster Hotel Review
Sky Hotel, a Kimpton Hotel
A mountain-lodge base with quirky Kimpton decor
The decor and styling is typical of a Kimpton hotel -- funky, stand-out furniture, over-the-top chandeliers, and tons of animal print details in the guest rooms (even down to the bathrobes). The Sky still has hints of Colorado mountain-lodge detailing, with huge exposed logs above the front desk, stone walls in the lobby, and welcoming fireplaces in the lounge, but ovreall the feel is modern and quirky.
Although the Sky did a good job updating this older Aspen hotel, there are still some small details that need to be updated, such as the teal/green tiling in the bathroom. Kimpton decor seems to be hit or miss with guests -- while some love the bright colors, bold animal prints, and nontraditional furniture, others seem to prefer more cozy lodge-style decor -- which is easy to find at most of the other hotel's in Aspen.
The Sky seems to attract a younger crowd, or at least a young-at-heart crowd, and even in off season the lounge and outdoor pool deck is still somewhat busy. During ski season, however, the pool area is jam-packed with people enjoying the heated pool, Jacuzzi, and numerous fire pits (where gas fire comes out of beautiful glass pebbles). And drink service from the lounge goes well into the night.
Just steps to the ski lift, in downtown Aspen
The Sky is right in the middle of downtown Aspen, just steps from the main downtown ski lift, offering a great ski-in/ski-out stay. Restaurants, bars, and entertainment are just a quick walk, and City Market Grocery is across the street, making resupply and grocery shopping as easy as it gets.
Walk to almost anywhere in Aspen from the hotel -- the Aspen Brewing Company, The Belly Up live music venue, and numerous restaurants and bars. And what may be beyond walking is a just short drive.The most frequently photographed scene in Colorado, the Maroon Bells Scenic Wilderness Area is just a 25-minute drive from the Sky Hotel.
- Three-minute walk to the closest ski lift in downtown Aspen, The Silver Queen Gondola
- Eight-minute walk to the closest microbrewery, Aspen Brewing Company
- 11-minute drive to Aspen Airport
- 18-minute drive to Snowmass Village
- 25-minute drive to Maroon Bells Scenic Wilderness Area
- Four-hour drive to Denver International Airport
Fresh and funky decor, but the bathrooms need work
Kimpton hotels always offer rooms with stylish decor, and the Sky Hotel is no different. From the standard leopard and zebra print bathrobes to the bright yellow walls, the guest rooms at the Sky are fun and refreshing.
Compared to the modern rooms, though, the bathrooms feel dated -- with older white-and-teal porcelain tile covering the counters (or splatter-print laminate in some rooms). The standard shower/tub combos aren't anything to write home about, either.
- Flat-screen TVs, iPod docks, and humidifiers
- Fully stocked minibar and comprehensive snack and goodie bar (including bottled oxygen and Spy brand sunglasses)
- Keurig coffeemakers with free coffee
- 24-hour room service, in the winter season only
- Must be a member of the loyalty program (free to join) to access free Wi-Fi
- Some rooms have fireplaces
Access to the Aspen Club & Spa for massage and fitness needs, and the best apres-ski scene in Aspen
With a modern and party-friendly pool deck, the Sky Hotel is the place to be for apres-ski food and drinks. Even locals come here to kick back and enjoy a cocktail. The heated pool and circular, inset Jacuzzi with water feature are the center of the patio area with lots of comfy seating and multiple fire pits for guests to keep warm on colder nights.
Room rate includes access to the Aspen Club & Spa, an off-site fitness and spa facility with tennis courts, an indoor lap pool, racquetball court, boxing studio along with a full service spa.
- Free ski and gear storage, with ski valet services and a rental shop
- Popular nightly apres-ski scene on the pool deck, with food and drink service and fire pit
- Happy hour, with free wine and a light appetizer
- A small 24-hour on-site fitness center with cardio and strength training machines
- Pet-friendly, no fee or size restrictions, with nice pet amenities
- Free airport shuttle
- Valet parking only, for a fee (discount for hybrid vehicles)
- View Full List of Amenities
All-Inclusive / Food
One full-service restaurant with a warm and modern lounge feel
39 Degrees is the Sky’s on-site bar and lounge. Set up primarily as hip, modern lodge-style bar, 39 Degrees also serves breakfast, dinner, and a late-night menu full of local Colorado-inspired food.
Balcony / Terrace / Patio
Meeting / Conference Rooms
Mini Bar (with liquor)
Poolside Drink Service
Separate Bedroom / Living Room Space
Disclaimer: This content was accurate at the time the hotel was reviewed. Please check our partner sites when booking to verify that details are still correct.