- Expansive pool complex that runs the length of the resort
- Beautiful beach setting
- Good choice for groups (particularly wedding parties)
- Numerous restaurants and bars, plus live music nightly in the grandiose lobby area
- A range of room types with marble bathrooms and jetted tubs
- Tennis courts, fitness center, and non-motorized water sports
- Great outdoor kids' club with a separate pool and slides
- A disco, casino, and a late-night snack bar
- Adults-only upgrade option with additional amenities (for a low fee)
- Charismatic and memorable animation team
- Shuttles are not needed to get around
- Access to a good spa with stand-out features
- Slower check-in process with possible waits; upgrade pitches are common
- Bathroom layouts in some room types lack privacy
- The restaurant reservation process is in person, and tedious
- A multi-course dinner could be rushed in order to accommodate the next round of guests
- Wedding parties get first dibs for tables at some restaurants
- Rooms overlooking the pool can experience noise pollution
- Fee for Wi-Fi
- Best All-Inclusive Resorts in Punta Cana
- Best Family Resorts in the Caribbean
- Best Kid-Friendly Hotels in Punta Cana
- Best Kid-Friendly Hotels in the Dominican Republic
- Best Beach Hotels in the Dominican Republic
- Best Hotels for Destination Weddings in Punta Cana
- Best Hotel Gyms in the Dominican Republic
Oyster Hotel Photos
Oyster Hotel Review
An attractive, family-friendly all-inclusive that is popular for destination weddings
The palatial lobby area impresses on arrival, though a slow check-in process and possible wait for a room can diminish excitement pretty quickly. If there's a wait, guests will be handed a non-alcoholic welcome drink and have the opportunity to relax by the pool until the room is ready. The resort is consistently full (and sometimes overbooked), so confusion with room types is possible.
Average room prices are low compared to neighboring resorts, but the property has touches of elegance and luxury that make it feel more expensive than it actually is. Americans tend to flock here and the staff has more English fluency than some other resorts in Punta Cana.
The pool area runs the length of the resort, and a wedding gazebo and pool bar sit about halfway down. This area may be blocked off for a ceremony, so guests will need to use the main pool bar closer to the beach. The large spa and Colonial Club lounge can be found closer to the beach, and since so many weddings occur here, it’s not unlikely to see a ceremony in person.
For dinner, the main buffet has themed events, and most guests will partake. A la carte reservations can be hard to get; guests have to go down to the lobby by 9 a.m. to book a restaurant in person, and there might be a line of people waiting to do the same. A nightly show occurs after dinner from a charismatic team, and then there's usually live music, dancing, and a basic casino.
Situated along Bavaro Beach -- about 35 minutes from Punta Cana International Airport
The Majestic Colonial shares a resort complex with its higher-end sister, the Majestic Elegance. The resorts are in Bavaro, which is technically the area that stretches north of but is often considered part of the Punta Cana peninsula. This is considered one of the most beautiful areas in Dominican Republic. Due to lack of activities off the property, most guests are happy to stay on the premises during their entire stay.
Rooms have classic, romantic style and vary in view and amenities.
The resort has 658 rooms and nine distinct room types (four of which are upgrades to the Colonial Club), so decor and views do vary. Most have a classic, romantic style and are showing minor wear and tear. All come with a king or two double beds, bathrobes and slippers, tile floors, four-poster beds, indoor or outdoor jetted tubs, and large bathrooms with double sinks, separate showers, and toilet stalls. Bathrooms have an open layout and some modest types may feel that they lack privacy. The resort is equipped with automatic lights and an air-conditioner system that turns off automatically when leaving the room.
For the Colonial Club upgrade -- expect a pitch upon arrival -- there are four room types including a swim-up suite and certain units next to the ocean that have expansive outdoor terraces and lounge areas. Amenities increase with each level. All Colonial Club guests will have access to a private lounge area for drinks, snacks and more personalized service.
Rooms and Rates
Basic all-inclusive features, plus a great kids' club and spa
The main pool -- 400-meters long -- extends nearly the full length of the property and has walking bridges, a swim-up bar, and two hot tubs. The beautiful beach is a wider stretch of sand compared to some neighbors and there are lounge chairs and palapas on either side of the main wedding area (there's typically at least one wedding per day here, possibly more). A shaded terrace near the beach offers seated areas for snacks and drinks.
The two restaurants overlooking the sea can fill up quickly with wedding parties following a ceremony on the beach. Colonial Club guests will also have access to a private lazy river pool and separate swim-up bar, though this area can fill up faster than the main pool.
In addition to the main buffet, a la carte restaurants range in cuisine and include the usual all-inclusive variety: steakhouse, Asian, French gourmet, Caribbean, and seafood. Reservations, however, are a hassle. There are a total of 11 bars on the property and some offer slightly more premium drink options than others.
Activities include basketball, volleyball, and tennis courts, and there's a kids' club with a large playground as well as a children’s pool with slides. A range of non-motorized water sports are included with the price, though there are limits for items like snorkel gear.
The spa –- popular with bridal parties -– has a salon, 10 treatment rooms, two saunas and a large hot tub.
Supervised Kids Activities
|Things to Do||
Gameroom / Arcade
Located on the Beach
Mini Bar (with liquor)
Separate Bedroom / Living Room Space
|Address||Playa Arena Gorda Bavaro, Punta Cana, Caribbean|
|Also Known As||