The Maritime HotelChelsea, Manhattan, New York City
Oyster Hotel Photos
- 28 Amenities
- 141 Penthouse A
- 72 Penthouse C
- 151 Penthouse Roof
- 58 Restaurants and Bars
- 76 Standard Room
Oyster Hotel Review
The Maritime Hotel is located in gallery- and restaurant-heavy lower Chelsea, directly north of the trendy Meatpacking District.
The Maritime is across the street from the shops, famous bakeries, and restaurants in the Chelsea Market, a former Oreo cookie factory turned upscale offices (among them, Google, the Food Network, and Oyster Hotel Reviews). Beyond it, there is Hudson River Park (perfect for those rental bikes), Chelsea Piers (perfect for a boat ride), and -- elevated above the street -- the new Highline Park. It's equidistant from the heart of Chelsea, the swank nightclubs in the Meatpacking District, and the more quaint West Village, three of the city's most fashionable destinations (SoHo being the other).
Many elements of the West Village culture -- the gay clubs, art galleries, and trendy restaurants -- have migrated north to the bordering neighborhood of Chelsea over the past decade. And today, with some 350 art galleries, it's often considered the epicenter of New York's contemporary art scene.
- Three blocks from the A, C, E, L subway lines; four blocks from the 1, 2, 3 subway line
- 20-minute subway ride to Central Park
- 20-minute subway ride to Times Square
- 25-minute subway ride to the Empire State Building
- 30-minute subway ride to the ferry terminal to visit the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island
- 25-minute subway ride to Rockefeller Center
- 25-minute subway ride to the American Museum of Natural History
- 40-minute subway ride or $13 taxi to the Metropolitan Museum of Art (the "Met") and 20-minute subway ride to the Museum of Modern Art (the "MoMA")
- Standard rooms -- starting at a very generous 300 square feet -- have queen-size beds.
- Junior Suites have king-size beds, and span a very spacious 600 square feet.
- Small, 20-inch flat-screen TVs with cable and DVD players
- Electronic safes, large enough for laptops
- Minibars (with liquor)
- Thoughtful treats, like umbrellas (free to use, but $50 if you take it home)
- Cool, green-tiled bathrooms
- High-end C.O. Bigelow bath products
- Set of bathrobes
- Free Wi-Fi
- Three Penthouse Suites (though they're not on the rooftop) are enormous (1100 square feet) and include an outdoor patio and New York's only outdoor shower.
- Two actual rooftop Penthouses (one at 1100 square feet and one at a whopping 2000 square feet) that have full roof access (an enormous amount of space) and even fireplaces
About 30 to 90 minutes from three airports
New York has three nearby airports: JFK, LaGuardia, and Newark (in New Jersey). Getting to town from JFK or LaGuardia is usually more convenient than getting there from Newark, but travel times are heavily dependent on the time of day and traffic conditions. From JFK, a taxi to anywhere in Manhattan costs a flat rate of $45 and takes around an hour in average conditions. From LaGuardia, a metered cab ride to midtown Manhattan costs about $40 and can take 30 minutes if traffic is light, three times that if it's bad. Rides from Newark cost at least $40 (plus tolls) and can take more than 90 minutes. It's customary to tip your driver 15 to 25 percent.
Those looking to save some cash can use the privately run shuttle buses that are available at all three airports for about $14 per person. For more information on the shuttles, go to Super Shuttle or New York Airport Service. Public transit is also available for as little as $7 per person, but travel can take up to two hours and involve a lot of lugging bags up and down stairways.
For mass-transit directions right to the hotel, check out HopStop.com.
Customers Who Viewed The Maritime Hotel Also Viewed
This Hotel Also Featured In
Decor and Design
New York City is a one-of-a-kind town. So it only seems right that your stay in the Big Apple be…
While a nautical theme can make for fun hotel decor all year round, we can't help but enjoy it a…
La Bottega: This stylish outdoor space is an ideal off-beat spot to wile away the afternoon hours over delicious cocktails…
The Penthouse Roof at The Maritime Hotel; New York, NY 1. FACT OR FAKEOUT: The Maritime Hotel in New York…
New York City
Tis the season, yeah yeah, I’m sure you’ve noticed the holidays are upon us. While I love to throw back…
Decor and Design
With so much focus put on hotel service, amenities, location, and rooms (and rightly so), people often don't take the…
Things You Should Know About The Maritime Hotel
Address363 West 16th Street, New York City, New York 10011, United States
Also Known As
- Maritime Hotel New York
- Maritime Hotel New York City
- Standard Room